Faith, Family

Excited to give

offering

We haven’t been to church in a few weeks, but my son has been talking non-stop since the last time we were there about the collection for Nepal. The children’s ministry is raising money to help with the school tuition costs for the children of the elders at Harvest Nepal. So this Sunday morning when I said, “Let’s get ready for church!” first he practically cheered, and then he ran upstairs to get his piggy bank. He emptied it into a bag, got his Bible, and said he was ready to go.

Every urge inside me wanted to tell him not to give the entire contents of his piggy bank. It was ALL his money, coins that he had been collecting from loose change here and there for over 2 years. Practically speaking, it didn’t really amount to that much, but it was ALL his money. I really had to check myself… why didn’t I want him to give it all? Shouldn’t I be encouraging his generous heart, not trying to teach him to keep some back for himself? His attitude was so pure, so simple. Someone needs money, I have money, I should give them my money. It could be argued that he was only so generous because he doesn’t really understand the value of a dollar, and he also has parents who have taken care of every need he has ever had…

But it was that exact thought that painted a really beautiful picture to me. Indulge me a little here… we have a heavenly Father who meets our every need. We do not really understand the value of a dollar (I think we overvalue our dollars, considering it all belongs to the Creator anyway, and His is the power to give and take away!). And yet when we hear about a need, how often do we give with so much joy and without reservation?! Anyway… I know that there are lots of different thoughts on how to be a good steward, etc. I just wanted to share it because it seemed to me like a little picture of what “faith of a child” might look like.

Now… try and ask for his favourite lego guy and he’d probably hang on with white knuckles! lol But this time we let him empty out his piggy bank, give it all, and told him the Lord was pleased with his heart to help the children in Nepal. <3

• Reply Debbie March 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm

So sweet Christa! We were talking about it on Sunday and my niece Sienna did a similar thing. We could all learn so much from the heart of these sweet children.

• Reply Christa March 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm

So cute! I bet a ton of the kids did too, it’s super sweet how eager they are to give at this age!

• Reply Jon March 28, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Way to steal my illustration that I may or may not use one day down the road! I even wrote this one down in my ‘illustrations manual’!

I am so proud of my little man.

• Reply Leanne March 28, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Hey Christa, funny you wrote this…Gabe did the same last Sunday, emptied his wallet, and I was thinking the same…but kept silent knowing that his giving was so natural, and that’s what I want for him..it brought tears to my eyes!

• Reply Christa March 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I love how involved the kids are getting! That is so sweet about Gabe too!

• Reply gottabekd March 28, 2011 at 5:07 pm

yes, the kids are really enjoying it… my kids gave a week ago and then were sad this week when the collection jar went around because they didn’t bring anything. my daughter prays each night for the kids in nepal to go to school. i’m glad our church is really on board with this! very cool.

• Reply Mads March 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm

This was so beautiful 🙂 Thanks Christa and also the other ladies that shared stories from their own homes. So amazing to see the hearts of the younger kids so willing to give all that they had 🙂 Yes, I’ve learned a mini lesson today too.

• Reply Christa March 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Isn’t it?! I love their little hearts!

• Reply Natashia March 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm

That is so precious! Made me smile!

• Reply Lisa @ Just the 6 of us March 28, 2011 at 11:50 pm

That’s so sweet! William did the same thing this Sunday, emptied his piggy bank, but I wouldn’t let him give it all because I wanted him to have some to give next week!!! Knowing William I knew that he would be upset to not have any money to give each week, so we are rationing. 🙂 But my kids are super excited about doing chores now to earn more money for Nepal, it’s wonderful!

• Reply Lisa Y. March 29, 2011 at 12:03 am

Chris,

It was amazing to watch Justus put his money in the jar on Sunday. He had a HUGE smile as soon as the jar came out. Sara called them up by grade and Justus was one of the first to go up, and stayed there for a long time putting one coin in at a time out of his bag.

I was in tears last week watching the kids give, thinking why don’t we as adults give with the same heart that a child does?

James this week was wanting to move money from his spending/saving jars so that he had money to give to Nepal this week. James had given all his money the previous week and was a little frustrated that his giving jar was empty this week. He has been on a popcan hunt more than ever because popcans mean money to him, and more money to give.

We have lots to learn!

• Reply Christa March 29, 2011 at 8:13 am

Oh wow! I LOVE these stories! Wish we could share these with the church somehow…. our kids ministry is setting a pretty amazing example for the rest of us!