Family, Life, Projects

homemade dry-erase workbook

My dear friend Jody gave me a great idea for Juno awhile back… see we have this problem that Juno flies through any kind of school book I give her. She could easily complete at least 3 books a day if I let her, which is quite expensive. She loves tracing letters and numbers and doing mazes, which is all a great start for JK next year, but I could never keep up with her demand for fresh paper. Until now…
IMG_0947
Jody showed me a workbook that she had made for Kobe, printed off all the sheets online for free and then placed each page in a plastic page protector. Hand over some dry erase markers and you have a clean book to complete every day! And I can keep adding and changing sheets at a much much much lower cost.

She LOVES it!

IMG_0948
IMG_0950
IMG_0949
IMG_0951
IMG_0946
(sorry for all the wonky angles and bad lighting… nobody ever called me a perfectionist) :)

Super easy and a little bit “now why didn’t I think of that?!” but I didn’t, Jody did, so thank you! :)

Today we were supposed to have a visit with friends but sadly had to cancel because Rusty was up half the night with ANOTHER bout of the flu. Poor kid. He seems much improved in the light of day though, so that’s a relief. We headed outside to freeze off the germs (as a side note… I really have no idea if I should keep my kids inside or send them outside when they are sick… anyone know what is healthier?!) and began to build an igloo.
DSC_0034
That’s what we have so far. Well, what I have so far. Justus suggested it would be more fun if I do all the work. Nice.

And now just a couple shots from about the place lately…
IMG_0969
IMG_0970
DSC_0241
DSC_0015

• Reply Jen January 4, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I’m very impressed with the igloo! :)
    I’d be interested in knowing the answer to which is healthier too. Joel had a fever the other day and the next day we all went for a nice cold walk…he had seemed better (acting his normal self) so I didn’t think it would be a bad thing…as long as he was good & bundled up. Apparently he wasn’t over it b/c he ended up getting feverish again that night…so I was wondering the same thing. I generally go with how they’re acting…and figure same thing as you…cold is good to kill off the germs. :)

• Reply gottabekd January 4, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I say send them out, let the cold kill the germs! If they are healthy enough to play outside and enjoy it, why not? As long as they’re not infecting others! I’ve had my kids outside with various illnesses if they weren’t completely miserable. Thanks Jody for the dry-erase book idea- I have a bunch of page protectors but now I know what to do with them for the Jamaicans! Cool! Paper products are too expensive there. Juno pic- cute!

• Reply Christa January 4, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Cool! I’m glad that will work for your trip!!!

And that’s kind of what I thought… Fever-stay in. Otherwise- go play!

• Reply gottabekd January 4, 2012 at 10:24 pm

try my comment thing now… :)

• Reply Christa January 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm

bingo. it works! :)

• Reply gottabekd January 5, 2012 at 7:27 am

Hmm, now where am I off to? :)

• Reply Lisa @ Just the 6 of us January 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Great idea! Where did you get those pages? Email me!

• Reply Jody January 9, 2012 at 8:04 am

I am SO glad that she likes the dry erase book! I actually got the idea from another blog, not my own – wish it was, it’s brilliant! We are starting school, and the kids are anxious to get back to theirs…. I haven’t let them have it over the holidays – I don’t want them to get bored of it.

• Reply Christa January 9, 2012 at 8:58 am

yeah, we are starting back, but my children aren’t quite so anxious…. trying your workbox/work file folder thing…. I’m excited to use it to beef up our homeschool day with some extra activities!

• Reply Jon January 9, 2012 at 8:23 am

Good luck today! I love you!