Projects

value village dresser

A couple weeks ago my sister and I were wandering around Value Village. While we were in the mens section and I was laughing at her love of weird old man sweaters (she’s so drop dead gorgeous that even gross second hand old man clothing looks great on her), I happened to glance at the nearby furniture section. My eyes landed on this handsome not-quite-real-wood chest of drawers…
IMG_1041
And on the price tag… $9.99. Sold.
A little paint (somewhat greener and more subdued than intended- though the true colour doesn’t translate at all in these photos) later, and voila!
IMG_1112
Not sure if it’s going to stay put or be moved to the spare room to replace the ugly, broken, hand-me-down that is currently residing there. If it does stay I’m thinking it needs a nice light reflecting mirror (perhaps I’ll go with the overdone uber trendy sunburst) hanging above it, and some better accessories.
IMG_1110
IMG_1105
And my poor sad chair needs a new fluffy white blanket to cover it’s boo-boos (the blue one is just a stand in, it clashes with the green of the pillows and dresser really badly). And of course I need to straighten the pictures in those frames. Etc, etc etc.
IMG_1114
Hanging tightly to the Nester’s “it doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful theory. :)
IMG_1099
But loving the super cheap and airy Lill curtains from Ikea. At 5.99 a pair they suit my budget just fine!

All photos taken on my iPhone, cause I’m lazy like that.

• Reply Christa February 1, 2012 at 1:50 pm

The colour looks so toothpaste-y in these pictures. Not promising it won’t get a repaint at some point!!

• Reply Emily February 1, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I’m gonna recommend the newer mirror trend – round with leather strap:

But you could totally DIY with a regular round mirror, two matching belts and an old-school doorknob (I actually have an extra old doorknob from our old house that I could give you).

• Reply Jon February 2, 2012 at 8:51 am

One day I’m going to sit in that chair. And stare at your great handiwork.

• Reply Debbie February 2, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Oh I love it all!…. The dresser looks fabulous…love the colour and the whole feel of the space..

…and …I have to thank you for saying “voila!” instead of “wa laa” which I keep seeing written everywhere lately and is my current pet peave.. I’m so testy!

• Reply Christa February 2, 2012 at 11:40 pm

thanks Debbie! And wa laa?!! Ha! I haven’t seen that but it would bug me too! :)

• Reply Debbie February 7, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Just wait to you start hearing people say it too! Seriously…it’s all over youtube….arrggh!

• Reply Marg K February 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Fabulous! I love those finds. It is amazing what you can see when you lookd “outside the box”.