without complaining

without complaining

Jon and I have started watching the Growing Kids God’s Way series together, and the very first session was exactly as they said- like drinking from a fire hose!

One of the biggest areas we are currently working on/struggling with is trying to train our kids to obey without complaining or arguing. This is obviously more of a reflection on us than it is on the kids, because we should have already been on it. No worries, we are now. And in tonight’s DVD, they mentioned this subject while talking about explaining to our children the moral reason why they should obey or behave in certain ways. In this scenario Anne Marie quoted Philippians 2:14a- “Do all things without grumbling or questioning”, followed up VERY IMPORTANTLY with the reason why: “that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.”

Aha.

Good for me to remember the reason why I am training them to obey without complaining or arguing, so that I do not lose heart. And great for me to train the positive into my children. When we obey without complaining or grumbling we are pure and shine as lights in the world. I’ve been drilling the negative- DON’T ARGUE with mom, but this gives me a whole new discussion and training to have with them, and something for their little hearts to hold on to- some motivation and understanding- the moral reason why.

Oh I love this course!

PS- the above photo is a fake grumpy face! lol Jon challenged me that I was posting something on the negative side in regards to the kids almost immediately after saying I wasn’t going to, which I actually don’t think I am in this case- but anyway, just thought I should mention the face is a fake! :)

7 Comments On This Topic
  1. Rosemary
    on Jan 8th at 2:12 pm

Oh, my goodness, Christa! We so need to watch this series! Did you get it from Dan? I’m always so impressed with how intentional you and Jon are in raising your kids! I brag about you to others often. Will be praying for you! ♥

• Christa
      on Jan 8th at 2:51 pm

I think Jon borrowed it from someone on staff, might have been my parents, I’m not sure? It’s really good. I’ve read all their material and watched the dvds myself, but now that the kids are getting into the applicable age range I see that there is so much I’ve missed or gotten slack on. It’s really important to watch them together I think- that way we can work as a team.

2. Beth K
    on Jan 9th at 1:04 am

We should borrow them after you! We could definitely use a refresher as it was about 3 years ago we did the course. So many amazing truths to glean from it, but because of the “drinking from a fire hose” effect, too easy to forget them.

3. Jen
    on Jan 22nd at 12:13 pm

Need to watch those too again…is it the toddler series?

• Christa
      on Jan 22nd at 3:01 pm

No, it’s the “real” Growing Kids God’s Way series

4. Debbie
    on Feb 6th at 4:19 am

Is there a toddler series? I wondered when we’d be getting to the right age range…

• Christa
      on Feb 6th at 1:24 pm

There is a great toddler series!