Recipes

Valentine Oatmeal Cookies

These were a family tradition on Valentines day growing up. Super yummy!!
DSC_0022
Valentine Oatmeal Cookies

Blend:
¾ cup margarine/butter
¾ cup sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Add:
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt

Mix all ingredients together.
Add 1 cup oats.
Roll, cut-out in heart shapes
Bake at 350F for 8ish minutes.
Frost with pink buttercream icing

DSC_0024

• Reply Norm/dad February 15, 2011 at 8:47 am

Mom just made another batch of those last night on Valentines day! I cracked up this am when I checked out your site as I love to do and saw this entry.

I ate some of the batter but she chased me away. Each if the kids still at home were excited when they ventured into the kitchen to see these. Who would think oatmeal cookies could taste so good.

Love you and congrats to you and Jon and we are so thankful to God for all He has done in your lives.

love dad

ps. Don’t think Jon would appreciate you putting pics up on your blog of you and some skinny blond man – just some fatherly advice – only post pics of you and Jon!

• Reply Christa February 15, 2011 at 9:06 am

love these cookies! 🙂

Thanks Dad!

• Reply mom February 15, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I’m glad to see the tradition continues! My mom used to make these, too! I remember taking them to school to share with my class. I didn’t want to use artificial colour in the icing so I used a bit of beet juice. (you can’t taste it) They were just a slight pink colour, but it was better than just using white. Then I put the rest of the beet juice (from a can of beets) in an ice cube tray and froze them for use in future things I need a pink colour for.
    Happy Anniversary! (and ditto what your dad said) 🙂

• Reply Christa February 15, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I’ll have to try the beet juice next time! I’ll have to buy beets first… 🙂

• Reply Jen February 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I wondered about the pink icing (artificial colour) and the Feingold diet!!! I wondered if beet juice was used for either you or your Mom! Now I know! 🙂 I have yet to try that! I’ve been wanting to. (And I like your Mom’s tip about storing the extra juice-great idea!). I also want to get a hold of some of the “India Tree” colours/sprinkles since they are FG approved. Generally I stick to the white/chocolate icings now, but some colour is so much more fun!
    Next year, I’ll try and remember to make these cookies for Valentine’s Day!! 🙂

• Reply Christa February 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I should have tried the beet juice. We’ve kind of been off Feingold for a little while and we are definitely reaping the results of that. I find it hard to stay on top of diet, homeschooling, ministry, house, kids, etc… I’m always dropping a few balls these days!