Life

bees

I have a little story for you (that might make my mother squirm).  So the other day, we were driving through lovely Strathroy with the windows rolled down.  The windows were rolled down because we have no working air conditioner, so driving our car is like sitting inside a furnace, or with the windows rolled down and on country roads, like driving in the middle of a windstorm.  (that was to prepare you, Tash.  The drive home from the airport is going to be deathly.  I apologize in advance.) This day though, while driving home from the park in Strathroy I suddenly felt an uncomfortable stinging inside my shirt, as in, right on “me right one” (that’s for you, Ros!).  I glanced down and discovered a bright green bug inside my shirt stinging me.  I quickly grabbed it and threw it out the window, but not before he got me twice.

I had never seen a green bee before, but apparently they are sweat bees who usually leave people alone and are rarely provoked to sting.

This would be more surprising, having a bee fly in the window and sting me unprovoked, except that I have a long history of random bee stings.  I’ve had bees sting me while moving trash bags, picking up pumpkins, sitting on the beach, and even on the face while sleeping in my bedroom.  Other bugs have it out for me too, like the spider that dropped down from the ceiling to bite my  face while watching a movie with my husband, but bees and wasps are really my worst enemies.  All that jazz about ignore them and they will ignore you, and hold still and they will go away is nonsense.  Bees have it out for me.

Anyway, after being stung twice in such a sensitive area, but stuck in the car with 15 minutes between me and home, Jon says my only arsenal to deal with the pain was a bottle of cold water to pour over the stings and heavy breathing.  He says it was one of the best days of his life.  I must have appeared quite a sight to anyone who happened to glance in my car window while driving by.  Then again, it may have been just another day in Strathroy with the Sodemans.  Pure class.

• Reply Jon May 29, 2012 at 8:35 am

I’m an experienced driver, but I’ve never experienced a drive like that!

• Reply Janine May 29, 2012 at 8:42 am

This made me giggle at the end. I absolutely hate bugs. I was trying to explain my level of (irrational) fear to Sam, but she didn’t seem to understand that I would literally crash the car if the bug inside (that looked far away to be a spider) came anywhere near me.

Also once when I was about 6, a bee flew in my ear and got stuck. So horrible.

• Reply Jen May 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Not that you would’ve been prepared at that moment in time, but since you apparently are attractive to stinging insects, have you heard about using a penny to take the sting away? Henk heard about it years ago at the golf course and has done it whenever he’s had a sting & he swears by it. I did it once too and it really did work! I’ve also done it for the boys…put the penny on the sting and then covered with a bandaid since it’s hard to hold it on squirming children :). I’m not sure if the earlier pennies with copper are better or what…but just a thought…may want to keep some on hand when they retire them and they become obsolete. 🙂

• Reply Christa May 30, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I’ll have to try that penny trick next time! Won’t be as fun for Jon, but might help protect my Christian witness better! Lol

• Reply Lisa Y May 29, 2012 at 10:42 pm

All I can say, is that I am sorry that it happened, and THANKFUL I wasn`t there… seeing how you always get stung when you are with me. I was laughing when you told me about it on Sunday.

• Reply Beth May 29, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Oh Christa, you made me laugh out loud! The bees definitely seem to have it in for you!

• Reply Tash May 30, 2012 at 12:54 am

Oh goodness, this made me laugh so much, which hurt my poor throat, but I’m sorry you got stung. And looking forward to the car trip, sounds like an adventure! 🙂

• Reply Debbie May 30, 2012 at 11:31 am

You are hilarious…and I love you!

• Reply Jen May 30, 2012 at 8:24 pm

And btw…glad to know someone else has a vehicle with no working A/C and knows the suffering that goes along with that! I definitely feel for you! 🙂